VicRoads has advised, ALL Club Permit Scheme applications and renewals will only be accepted via POST (not in person until further notice).

Contact Gareth or John for more details, act fast!!

Club Permit

RSOCVic is an approved member of the Victorian Club Permit Scheme (CPS).

Club Permits are available for vehicles 25+ years old in Victoria only,

conditions apply.

Get a club permit

The information below explains the steps you need to follow for your
vehicle to be issued with a club permit.  You can also click on the image
to the right for a link to the Vic Roads website.

Step 1: Join our club for just $60!

To be eligible to get a club permit you must be a financial member of a

VicRoads approved vehicle club or association.

Step 2: Check the vehicle eligibility

A club permit can be issued to the vehicles in the following categories.

Veteran vehicles – manufactured before 1 January 1919
Vintage vehicles – manufactured after 31 December 1918 and before 1 January 1931
Classic and Historic vehicles - manufactured after 31 December 1930, but more than 25 years before the date of the application for a club permit.

These categories can include trailers, heavy vehicles, left hand drive vehicles and modified vehicles such as street rods. Replicas of vehicles in the categories above may also be issued with a club permit.

A club permit vehicle must comply with the Vehicle Standards, appropriate to the date the vehicle was manufactured, contained in Schedule 2 of the Road Safety (Vehicles) Regulations 2009.

A club permit cannot be issued to:

a currently registered vehicle
a vehicle that is recorded on the Victorian or an interstate Written-off Vehicles Register as a statutory write-off
a vehicle that has a sheriff's office or hoon sanction
a vehicle that is recorded as stolen.

Vic Roads may refuse to issue a club permit:

if it is not satisfied that the vehicle is safe to use on a road or road related area or
if a current club permit already exists for the same vehicle. 

Checking the vehicle's safety

To assist clubs with inspecting vehicles and determining whether they are safe for use on the road, vic roads have developed a Guideline Vehicle Safety Inspection Checklist. Please note that this checklist is for guidance only and should be used at the club's discretion; it does not replace the requirement for the Vehicle Eligibility and Standards Declaration for Club Permit Vehicles form or any requirement for a Certificate of Roadworthiness.

Calculating the vehicle's manufacture date

If your vehicle is fitted with an Australian compliance plate, the plate date is the date of manufacture
If your vehicle is fitted with an import compliance plate or has no compliance plate, the date of manufacture is determined by a manufactures build plate, a chassis number or documentary evidence from the manufacturers records 
If your vehicle does not meet either of the above requirements, we may determine the manufacture date based on information sourced from our registration database, historical data, or evidence from our vehicle safety and compliance expert.

Step 3: Check what certificates you need

Do you need a Certificate of Roadworthiness?

All club permit vehicles manufactured after 1 January 1949 require a Certificate of Roadworthiness.

Get a Certificate of Roadworthiness at a Roadworthy Tester

It is optional for vehicles manufactured on or before 31 December 1948 to get a Certificate of Roadworthiness. The club scrutineer/official may inspect and declare the vehicle to be safe to use on the road.

Do you need a Vehicle Assessment Signatory Scheme (VASS) Club Permit approval certificate?

You'll need to get a Vehicles Assessment Signatory Scheme (VASS) Club Permit approval certificate when the vehicle: 

is modified outside what is permitted in the Vehicle Standards or the guidelines as specified below or
wasn't originally produced for the Australian market (no compliance plate and / or previous Australian registration history) and was manufactured after 31 December 1968 (for motorcycles 30 June 1975).

Note: If a VASS Club Permit approval certificate has been provided for any modifications previously (where required) and no additional modifications have been made, a new certificate isn't required for the vehicle to remain on the Club Permit Scheme. 

Find out how to get a VASS approval certificate.

Vehicle type Guidelines
Light motor vehicle

VicRoads’ Guide to Modifications to Motor Vehicles (VSI8), or
VicRoads’ Guidelines for modifications to vehicles operated under Victoria’s Club Permit Scheme (VSI33)

Step 4: Complete the forms and get your application approved by RSOC Vic

Once you have the certificates, you will need to complete the following forms and get them approved by your club:

Vehicle Eligibility and Standards Declaration for Club Permit Vehicles form
Club Permit Application Form

The Vehicle Eligibility and Standards Declaration for Club Permit Vehicles form

This form must be signed by a Club Safety Officer/Scrutineer from your club declaring the vehicle is safe for use on the road and meets relevant vehicle standards requirements
For post 31 December 1949 vehicle, the Club Safety Officer/Scruntineer can only sign this form if the Certificate of Roadworthiness (RWC) is current and valid (within 30 days). If the RWC is more than 30 days old, then a new RWC is required.
You must provide the original document to us with the club permit application

Club Permit Application form

The Club Permit Application form must be signed by:

You (the applicant)
the Club President, Treasurer, Secretary or Permit Scheme Officer as an authorised officer of the approved vehicle club indicating you are a financial member of the vehicle club or association.
For street rod applicants wishing to obtain "SR" plates, the club permit application must also be endorsed by an authorised representative of the Australian Street Rod Federation.

The club permit application must be signed and dated and received within 30 days of the declaration date on the Vehicle Eligibility and Standards Declaration for Club Permit Vehicles form, or the club permit application will be rejected by us, and a new club permit application will be required.

Step 5: Submit the application

Documents that you need to submit with your application

Your evidence of identity for the club permit holder and if applicable, for your authorised agent 
If the club permit holder will be a company or incorporated association a completed authority to act as an agent form. Visit register on behalf of someone else for more information
Original completed Club Permit Application form
Original completed Vehicle Eligibility and Standards Declaration for Club Permit Vehicles form
An original Certificate of Roadworthiness (for vehicles manufactured after 1949, it is optional for pre 1949 manufactured vehicles)
Payment of fees that will include the TAC, Registration fee and log book fee
An original VASS Approval Certificate (if applicable, see above check what certificates you need)

Note: All documents must be original, certified copies or fax are not accepted.

Submitting club permit applications

To submit your application visit a VicRoads Customer Service Centre (pay by VISA, MasterCard*, cheque, EFTPOS or cash)

* A card payment fee applies

Classic and Historic vehicles & Modified vehicle applicants

At the Customer Service Centre you will be issued the club permit on the spot and you will get the number plates, log book, club permit certificate and labels.

Street Rod, Veteran & Vintage vehicles applicants

You can submit your Street Rod, Veteran or Vintage club permit by either:

visiting a VicRoads Customer Service Centre (your club permit will not be issued on the spot)
mailing it, along with your payment (cheque only) to - VicRoads GPO BOX 1644, Melbourne, VIC 3001 (for Victorian licence or learner permit holders only)

At the Customer Service Centre, your documents and evidence of identity will be checked and your payment taken.

Once your application has been accepted and approved, we will send you paperwork. You will need to:

attach the club permit certificate to the inside cover of your logbook
attach the windscreen label to the vehicle to assist in identifying vehicles operating with a current permit
affix the allocated Club Permit number plates to your vehicle
follow the conditions of use for club permit vehicles.